Due to Covid-19 our hours of availability and order processing have been shortened to Mondays and Fridays only as we are a small family business. If you have any questions please email us at email@example.com for the fastest response possible. If you have concerns about processing times you may email those concerns prior to placing your order. We are working as fervently as possible on existing orders and appreciate your patience during this time. Thank you for your business. From our family to you and yours stay safe and blessings to you all.
Meaning of Heraldic Colors for Your Custom Coat of Arms
Most heraldic colors have more than one meaning. Over hundreds of years, some of these meanings have changed. Here are the main meanings behind each color that we have in our records.
- Silver / White – Argent: Signifies truth, sincerity, peace, innocence and purity.
- Gold – Or: Signifies wisdom, generosity, glory, constancy and faith.
- Black – Sable: Signifies wisdom, grief, constancy and prudence.
- Green – Vert: Signifies abundance, joy, hope and loyalty in love.
- Blue – Azure: Signifies loyalty, chastity, truth, strength and faith.
- Red – Gules: Signifies magnanimity, military strength, warrior and martyr.
- Purple – Purpure: Signifies temperance, regal, justice, royal majesty, and sovereignty.
- Maroon / Blood Red – Sanguine / Murray: Signifies Fortitude or victorious.
- Orange – Tenne / Tawny: Signifies ambition.
Please remember that the first coat of arms was granted in 1088 and since then the meaning of colors for a coat of arms has changed over time. Also some countries view colors differently from other countries. We simply want to make sure you are informed as much as possible. The colors we have in Latin are: Argent, Or, Sable, Vert, Azure, Gules, Purpure, Sanguine and Tenne/Tawny.
The Tree Maker hopes this information has been helpful and suggests that you take your time in designing a custom coat of arms to make sure it has all the symbols you wish to use that stands for you values as a family.